Monday, December 24, 2012

'Twas the Night Before Christmas.



‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, silence filled the house.
Three stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that Saint Nicholas soon would be there.




Thing 1 and Thing 2 were nestled snug in their beds,
While visions of Xboxes and Monster High dolls danced in their heads.
A glass of red in hand, wrapping accessories in my lap,
I settled in for a long night of gift wrap.

In the twinkle of the tree lights surrounded by gifts,
I wished for a moment that the loneliness would lift.
Perhaps Santa would fill my stocking,
With a man that would last?

The moon in the sky left a gleam on the ground,
Lighting the new trampoline I had found.
When suddenly I heard down the hall,
The sound of tiny foot falls.

With the reflexes of a mom, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment Benadryl would do the trick.
Rubbing sleep from their eyes they came down the hall,
And I rushed to avoid an epic Christmas Eve fail!

Hobbit lego and Nuvi dolls, Angry Birds and Taylor Swift!
A Cannondale! A vanity! A hockey net and fairies and more!
To the top of the mound! To the top of the heap!
Now wrap it! Wrap it! Wrap it all quick!

With speed and agility all mothers inherit,
I intercepted them before they rounded the corner.
“It’s so late! Why are you up, sleepyheads?
“Santa can’t come if you don’t get in your beds!”

“I’m so excited. I just can’t wait.
I hope that Santa brings a puppy named Cocoa in his sleigh!”
And I gazed on my treasure made of sugar and spice,
Happy that tonight she is not naughty, but nice.

“I want proof that he’s real. A clue or two.
What if that book was true, and Santa’s really … just you?”
I looked at my too-smart young man and the Dad within,
And wished that his brain would get out of the way and let him imagine.

Too many tests these past Christmases have held!
I don’t want this to be the year that Santa was felled!
I knelt down and smiled at the presents left to me,
Their eyes bright with excitement, hearts beating impatiently.

“Remember what we say when we feel let down?
When we miss and we cry and we shake and we frown?
The most important thing of all, more than presents and gifts,
Is what we hold in our hearts, a far greater, more sparkly lift.”

“Santa is real, make no mistake.
He’s here every day, in our hearts and heartbreak.
He’s the magic around us, the warmth in the air.
He might even be the reason we share.”

Without a word they wrapped their arms around me,
Still trying to peek at the tree.
And kissing them each on the bridge of their nose,
I carried them off and tucked them in close.

And as I walked down the hall, I heard their soft call.
“Mommy, we love you so much, you’re the best Mom of all.
But can you leave the light on in the hall?
If Santa’s real, we don’t want him to fall.”

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

No comments: