Tuesday, December 24, 2013

All Through the House.



‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house.
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
Three stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicolas soon would be there.



Thing One and Thing Two were tucked snug in their beds,
While visions of presents danced in their heads.
And Cocoa with her bone and I with my glass
Settled down for a long night ahead.

When down the hall came a tiny pit patter
And I waved her in close to see what was the matter.
“I can’t sleep, Mom. Can I snuggle with you?
It’s always better with you.”

The day had been full of mayhem and merriment,
Last minute gifts, tranquilizers, gift wrap and peppermint.
Even Cocoa’s excited …
She woke at 4 a.m.

Christmas has become so frantic and quick
And this year I have a bone to pick with St. Nick.

I’ve had no time to sit down, to relax and to calm
And this pace needs to end before me it claims!

Now, Merlot! Now Cab! Now Shiraz and Chardonay!
On Pinot! On Muscat! On Riesling and Rose!
To the top of the list! To the top of pile!
Now gift wrap! Gift wrap! Gift wrap it ALL!

As leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
Our eyes and our thoughts can’t help but turn to the sky.
To the one long gone and those here, too.

With a heart full of memories and a head full of dreams,
We’ve had a year that has held more than it seems.
I tucked her golden curl and wrapped my arms ‘round
The little girl whose passion for life knows no bounds.

“Sweetheart, we can’t snuggle up tonight.
Mommy stays awake ‘til you’re asleep every night,
And she still has dishes to clean and gifts to wrap,
Before she can finally take her own long winter’s nap.”

My eyes—how they hurt! My back, how it aches!
My buttocks are tender, bruised like squished berries.

I took her little hand, so small and warm,
And led her down the hall to her room.
The lights on her little tree danced merrily,
Lighting the path to where Bunny waited patiently.

As I tucked her in close
I thought of the gifts waiting for me
And I knew that what they want
Will not be under our tree.

With a kiss on her brow I started to leave
Determined to get it all done before I fell asleep.

We’ve been lucky, we know
Even if mommy hasn’t filled the hole in their souls.
And this year I am filled with thoughts of firsts and lasts
As a Christmas surprise brings us all together
For memories to last.
And now on the eve of the big man in red
I hear her say as I walked down the hall—
“I hope Santa brings you Gerard Butler!”

Merry Christmas, one and all. And to all, a good night.

No comments: